Category Archives: Scottish castles

Castle Gogar for sale at £2.9 million

Edinburgh Castle might not on the market but 17th century Castle Gogar certainly is at  a cool £2.9 million.
This renovated six-bedroom castle comes with paddocks and impressive battlements .
The castle has everything you would expect in a property fit for a king or queen: towers and turrets with arrow slots, a vaulted crypt, an oak panelled dining room and hall, and even spiral staircases.

Set up your own website with one of our castle domains for sale

The turrets were only added to the 1625 property in the 19th century and have never housed archers. Other more modern additions include a wet room and sauna, a handmade oak kitchen with a built-in American fridge freezer, and outbuildings housing a gym and games

Interest in top-notch properties seems to be growing a flat in Ramsay Garden, one of the most instantly recognisable addresses in Edinburgh and slap next to the city’s other castle, has attracted global interest since going on the market for £1.1m.
St Andrews castle is well worth a visit . A taxi from Edinburgh to St Andrews costs about £85 .

Leys Castle estate

The historic, 3,173-acre Leys Castle estate near Inverness, with its Category A-listed, Tudor Gothic castle built by Samuel Beazley for Col John Baillie in 1833. It has spectacular views over the city, the Moray Firth, the Black Isle and beyond. The original Leys estate was owned from 1712 to 1885 by the Baillie family, important local landowners who moved in the upper echelons of Highland society. In 1926, it was bought by Sir Francis Walker, who acquired more land from the Baillies of nearby Dochfour, including the farms of Balmore, Balvonie, Newton, Braeton and the Black Wood-all part of the estate now being sold by his descendants.

Sir Francis was a man of vision and energy, and an Olympic sportsman. He had the cellars opposite the basement removed and the lawn on the north side of the castle lowered to create properly lit lower-ground accommodation for staff. In 1928, he created the terraced lawns and arboretum, and a huge outdoor, Olympic-size swimming pool, which was fed by fresh water from the water garden, and used by the family for swimming, boating, curling and ice-skating until the early 1970s. At about the same time, he built a model steading at Leys Home Farm to house his famous herd of native rare-breed and Highland cattle, which is also for sale.

The family moved out during the Second World War, when the castle was requisitioned as a military hospital, and only moved back in 1958, when Sir Francis had completed a full restoration programme. Today, the accommodation comprises a main reception hall, six ground-floor reception rooms, a kitchen, a billiard room and staff quarters on the lower-ground floor, and eight bedrooms and four bathrooms on the first floor. Other estate houses include the six-bedroom Grange, built in 1860, and 10 cottages.