Category Archives: castles for sale
Conservationist and heritage groups have combined to oppose measures outlined by Chancellor George Osborne to remove VAT relief on changes to properties which are protected under the listed building status. Properties which have been renovated but would be taxed under the proposals include Aberdeen’s 19th-century Marischal College building, Kelburn Castle in North Ayrshire, and Edinburgh’s Royal Commonwealth Pool.
Under new plans, 20% VAT will be charged on alterations to a listed building, which will leave conversions of old and culturally valuable buildings requiring a far bigger outlay than in the past.
The National Trust for Scotland says the removal of tax relief outlined in the last Budget is ill-thought out and comparable to the fiasco over the much-derided “pasty tax”. The Scottish Government has joined widespread criticism of the proposal with Culture Secretary Fiona Hyslop claiming the tax will have economic consequences for the building trade.
Archaeology Scotland, the Architectural Heritage Society for Scotland, the Institute for Archaeologists, the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland and the Scottish Civic Trust have united in criticism of these changes . Cliff Hague, chairman of the Built Environment Forum Scotland lobby group, said many smaller-scale projects could be hit hard. He added: “The current fiscal arrangements incentivise sympathetic alteration of these buildings to enable their long-term survival through continued use.
“This Budget proposal will impact most significantly on small charities and private individuals involved in taking on these buildings, not only for themselves but for the benefit of everyone, now and in the future.
“The financial viability of these special and often complex projects means that the current VAT relief can make the difference between a project stacking up or not.”
Under the current scheme, VAT is charged on repairs and maintenance to listed properties but not on alterations, such as installing new window
Downton Abbey is one of the most successful British television dramas of the year. Fans now have the chance to live out their dreams of the high life in a historic property coming up for sale.
Apethorpe Hall, a British manor with no less than 48 rooms, has gone onto the market for a “bargain” price of 2.5 million pounds . There’s only one problem – it doesn’t have a bathroom.
The Daily Mail reports that the house was originally built between 1470 and 1480 by Sir Guy Wolston, then sold to Sir Walter Mildmay. It reportedly stayed in his family for 350 years. In more recent years, the house has been owned by the Catholic Church and Libyan millionaire Wanis Mohammed Burweila. The new owner of the house , located in Northamptonshire, England, should probably be able to afford to install a few modern amenities. However in common with any historic building, there are bound to be certain restrictions on developing a piece of property first constructed several hundred years ago.
As well as not having a bathroom, the house comes with a few other catches: an annual £100,000 maintenance bill and a requirement that the hall be open to the public for at least 28 days a year.
The government reportedly spent more than £4 million renovating the house, which had fallen into disarray over the years and was at one time “on the brink of ruin.”
More castles have been built in the border county of Northumberland than in any other county in England because of the habit of its Scottish neighbours in times gone by to invade this most Northern part of England.
The launch of the 1,229-acre Castle Heaton and Shellacres estate at Cornhill-on-Tweed, 12 miles from the border town of Berwick-upon-Tweed, at a guide price of over £11.5 million’ through local estate agents illustrates the revival of the market by leading local landowners. In a small number of castles for sale it has a bumper asking price which , if achieved, will set a record for recent years in the North-East.Land values have never been as strong in this part of the country, and we’re seeing an increasing number of buyers moving up from the South to re-invest, and live in and enjoy all that we have to offer in this part of the world.
With its rich mix of history, heritage, sporting assets and farming know-how, Castle Heaton has much to intrigue a discerning sporting incomer. The estate, which sits either side of the River Till, a tributary of the Tweed, is being sold either as a whole, or in two lots. The main residential element, on the west bank of the Till, comprises Castle Heaton House and gardens, its adjacent Granary House and Tower, four stone cottages, an arable and grassland farm, a pheasant shoot and a very private beat of salmon and sea-trout fishing-638 acres in all-and is on offer at a guide price of ‘excess £6.15m’.
Castle Heaton House is a substantial 19th-century stone and slate building-extensively refurbished and upgraded in 1992-with three reception rooms, a large kitchen/breakfast room, a nursery, six bedrooms and four bathrooms. The Granary House, on the west side of the gardens, was partially demolished and converted in 1998 to create an annexe to the main house, with one main reception room, a kitchen, four bedrooms and two bathrooms. It is attached to a castellated tower currently being modernised to provide a large, open-plan reception room with a high vaulted roof, an en-suite double bedroom and kitchen area.
A range of traditional 16th- and 17th-century stone farm buildings beside the main house includes a much earlier buttressed stone barn, listed Grade II*, which contains the remains of the original late-medieval Heaton Castle, built in 1415-possibly by Sir Thomas Grey-and destroyed in 1496 by the Scots and James IV. In the 1580s, a dispute arose between the Grey family and the Crown as to who should bear the cost of repairing the castle, as a result of which nothing at all was done.
On the east side of the river, 590-acre Shellacres is a first-class farming estate in an area renowned for its arable farming, and holds the Guinness World Record for the most wheat harvested in eight hours-551.6 tons. The estate agent for this property has been inundated with enquiries
Crantzdorf Castle, the 20,000-square-foot property owned by local auto dealer Steve Grindstaff, will not go to auction today as originally planned. Instead, an offer for the castle “is on the table and being negotiated,” according to Kari Neering, associate vice president for Rubenstein Public Relations. “The seller has elected to focus on negotiating a deal rather than go to auction.” Originally priced at $28.5 million, the property is currently listed for sale at $19.5 million with its agency, Mountain Sotheby’s International Realty. The 13-acre spread, located at 191 Degrasse Drive, sits on the shores of Boone Lake. The castle, which is reportedly modeled after the Palacio de la Magdalena in Spain, boasts nine bedrooms, eight bathrooms, and four half-baths
A new database allows searchers to look for castles by postcode in England . Details of England’s national heritage from protected shipwrecks to listed lamp-posts are being made easily available to the public for the first time with a new online database.
English Heritage has launched the National Heritage List for England which it claimed was “a significant milestone towards achieving better understanding and protection for heritage in this country”.
It lists all 400,000 listed buildings, parks, gardens, battlefields, shipwrecks and scheduled monuments. And for the first time, the public will be able to search by postcode, by age or by categories from coal-mines to castles.
The database launch came as English Heritage came as it announced priorities from now until 2015 in the light of a 32 per cent cut in its Government grant.
Work still going ahead include vital repairs to Kenwood House in north London and a major advice service to councils who are selling off public buildings such as town halls and libraries because of their own budget cuts.
English Heritage is searching for tenants for what was once The Great Hall of Framlingham Castle, the Suffolk residence of several English Kings and Queens.
The Red House is on the market for just £850 per month.
A two-bedroom flat in London’s Mayfair will cost you the same amount per week.
But the availability of the key to The Red House is an incredible opportunity to live inside a piece of genuine English history.
Framlingham Castle was built by Roger Bigod, the 1st Earl of Norfolk, between 1117 and 1200, to replace his father’s timber fort which Henry II destroyed.
The Red House was converted from The Great Hall into a poorhouse in 1729.
DS MAX SERENITY is a luxury apartment, located at Silk board Junction near to Mahindra Showroom. It has G+3 with 3 BHK. Here dimensions available are 1400 sqft to 1600 sqft costing 48.98lacs to 56.98lacs.
To view more projects take time to log into our website: www.dsgroupworld.in
Copy the link mentioned below.
DS MAX SYMPHONY is a luxury apartment located in Marathalli near turbarahalli bus stop. It has G+4 floors with 2/3 BHK. Here dimension available are 900sqft to 1700sqft costing 24.98Lacs to 44.98Lacs.
To view more projects take time to log into our website: www.dsgroupworld.in
Copy the link mentioned below
CASTLE OF CARBONANA sits on top of a hill, enclosed by a beautiful cypress park. It is located in Umbria, in between Gubbio and Umbertide, and is surrounded by green rolling hills.
Often called the “Green Heart of Italy”, Umbria is a beautiful countryside area of rolling forested hills, meadows covered with flowers, olive groves, lakes and deep valleys. The landscape of Umbria is dotted with many picturesque medieval villages, and the people of the area are known for their distinctive cuisine, friendliness and hospitality. This wonderful, tranquil region offers visitors a gorgeous, clean, natural environment, as well as medieval art and architecture, and many sites of historical interest in the countryside.
The property comprises approximately 20 hectares which corresponds to about 50 acres of land. It has a small vineyard, olive grove and some fruit trees. The building is not protected by the Ministry for Cultural heritage, nonetheless is one of the best preserved castles in the area.
Castello Carbonana was probably built in the 5th century as a military signal post during the period when the Senate was in Rome and the Emperor resided in Ravenna and the main tower of the castle dates from this time. In the 10th century the Templar order rebuilt the smaller tower, which is the jagged part on the front of the castle.
The round tower was built in the 12th century and at that time the abbot was given the title of Count of Carbonana.
A painting of Castello Carbonana – dated to 1495 – appears on a large wall map in a corridor that leads from the Vatican museum to the Sistine Chapel.
The building as it stands now, completed with the roofed sections, was completed in the 14th century and has 37 rooms. In the 13th and 14th century it belonged to counts Porcelli who had to flew the castle in 1315 as the city of Gubbio was ruled by the adverse party. In 1576 the duchy of Urbino granted the count of Carbonana hunting rights over a large territory.
Purchased by a Canadian businessman in late ‘60s, the castle has not been lived in for some years and needs now some maintenance and refurbishing works to get back in full to its magnificence.
The covered surface is roughly 1.350 sqm (13.500 square feet), plus the inner courtyard and all the terraces. The castle is squared shaped with an inner courtyard where a high tower arises; The tower is still accessible via a ladder up until the very top, where a breathtaking view will hit the visitor.
On 4 levels, of which 2 lie underneath the inner courtyard, the building is split into 5 interconnected units; the main apartment on the ground floor is in fairly good condition, the remaining part needs a restoration and a refreshening. The castle also contains wine cellars, dungeons, tower rooms, and a small chapel, still accessible.
Plumbing and wiring are installed throughout the castle but need to be updated to latest standards.
At short distance from the castle there is also a detached old stone-house on 2 levels, for approximately 350 sq m.
Perfect for a redevelopment project or for a luxury tourist resort.
The historic, 3,173-acre Leys Castle estate near Inverness, with its Category A-listed, Tudor Gothic castle built by Samuel Beazley for Col John Baillie in 1833. It has spectacular views over the city, the Moray Firth, the Black Isle and beyond. The original Leys estate was owned from 1712 to 1885 by the Baillie family, important local landowners who moved in the upper echelons of Highland society. In 1926, it was bought by Sir Francis Walker, who acquired more land from the Baillies of nearby Dochfour, including the farms of Balmore, Balvonie, Newton, Braeton and the Black Wood-all part of the estate now being sold by his descendants.
Sir Francis was a man of vision and energy, and an Olympic sportsman. He had the cellars opposite the basement removed and the lawn on the north side of the castle lowered to create properly lit lower-ground accommodation for staff. In 1928, he created the terraced lawns and arboretum, and a huge outdoor, Olympic-size swimming pool, which was fed by fresh water from the water garden, and used by the family for swimming, boating, curling and ice-skating until the early 1970s. At about the same time, he built a model steading at Leys Home Farm to house his famous herd of native rare-breed and Highland cattle, which is also for sale.
The family moved out during the Second World War, when the castle was requisitioned as a military hospital, and only moved back in 1958, when Sir Francis had completed a full restoration programme. Today, the accommodation comprises a main reception hall, six ground-floor reception rooms, a kitchen, a billiard room and staff quarters on the lower-ground floor, and eight bedrooms and four bathrooms on the first floor. Other estate houses include the six-bedroom Grange, built in 1860, and 10 cottages.